9799692b348 Nivedhanam: Chilli Parotta (சில்லி பரோட்டா)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chilli Parotta (சில்லி பரோட்டா)

Some dishes are not at all homey. They never remind of home food. But they may remind of your favorite food at a restaurant. I remember eating a dish called “Chili Parotta” at Vasantha Bhavan during my college days and it was so delicious. We used to go there and order this with raitha and coke.. This was definitely on our order when I went with my family and are mine and my dad’s favorite. Being in US, I did not get this dish to taste. I remember wanting to eat this dish and will look for it in a lot of Menus. But I was so happy when I tried it at home and was able to get that same (ok similar) taste. My husband also likes it and now I am so happy to not wait for going to Vasantha Bhavan to eat it. Although if I go to Vasanta Bhavan again, I would order this!!! At restaurants, I think it is made with parotta which is made with maida. At home, I did it with chapathi which is made with whole wheat flour. I have this control on what I eat and I can choose maida or whole wheat flour.. I love this control.. Calling me a control freak!!!
Chilli Parotta - IMG_1737
Ingredients
Parotta – 4
Green Chili – 5
Red Chili – 3
Cumin Seeds – ½ tea spoon
Cashew – 1 table spoon
Cloves – 5
Bay Leaves – 2
Onion (thinly sliced) – 1 cup
Tomato (diced) – 2 table spoons
Garlic – 2 cloves
Ginger (grated) – 1 tea spoon
Oil – 4 – 5 table spoons
Asafetida – 1/8 tea spoon
Red Chili Powder – ½ tea spoon
Chili Sauce – 2 table spoons (add one at a time, taste and add more if required)
Soy Sauce – 2 tea spoons (add one at a time, taste and add more if required)
Coriander Leaves – 1 table spoon
Tomato Paste – 1 table spoon
Turmeric Powder – ½ tea spoon
Salt – ½ tea spoon
Jaggery – 1 tea spoon

Chilli Parotta - IMG_1728
Method
Cook the Parotta and cut them into small cubes like an 1 inch piece and set aside
Heat 4 table spoons oil in a pan and once hot, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves
Add cashew and sauté until light golden on the cashew
Add the green chili, ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds
Add onion and salt and sauté the onions until done
Add tomato paste and mix well and add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are done
Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and asafetida
Add the soy sauce, chili sauce and the jaggery
Once all the spices are well cooked and the raw flavor is gone, add the parotta pieces
Mix all well to ensure they are well incorporated. Add more oil if required
Cook for 2 minutes on medium flame, stir in between to ensure that they do not burn at the bottom, and remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves
Serve hot!!

12 comments :

  1. look at the color! I love to hv one plate
    great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my husband's favorite food :) We ate it here in US at Saravan Bhavan in NJ. Was not too good though :(. I am going to give this a try..Thanks for sharing :)

    Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very catchy and inviting chilli parotta, wish i get that whole plate rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi soumya...
    loved ur blog... and the chili parotta looks yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this.. But last had it years ago.. Very tempting!! Thanks for sharing this recipe

    Divya's Culinary Journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and healthy chili parotta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my hus fav and this looks very tempting and flavorful..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks Delicious and tangy.. Thanks for sending for my event..
    Ongoing Event + Giveaway: Mission Street Food

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks so vibrant and inviting! Drooling!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,
Thank you for reading my blog post. Your comments and feedback is very valuable and I appreciate it very much. Please leave your valuable comments and feedback for this post. Thanks Sowmya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...