9799692b348 Nivedhanam: Milagai Podi

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Milagai Podi

Some recipes are too simple to write but the taste and texture differs from house to house. Milagai podi falls into that category. This recipe is more about preference rather than strict measurements. This delicious podi is there in most of the South Indian homes and are great accompaniment to Idli and dosa.
IMG_5190



Ingredients
Kadalai Parupu / Channa Dal - 1/2 cup
Ulutham Parupu / Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
Red Chili - 10 - 15
Asafetida - 1/4 tea spoon
Salt - 3/4 tea spoon
Jaggery - 1  table spoon (optional)
Gingerly Oil - 2 table spoons


IMG_5192

Method
Heat oil in a pan and roast the kadalai parupu and ulutham parupu on a slow flame separately until golden and set aside
In the same pan, roast the red chili until it becomes rich red. Add asafetida and sauté for 10 seconds and remove from heat
Add jaggery, salt and grind all well until it reaches coarse ravai or corn meal consistency. Consistency is also a personal choice, so grind until your preference.
Serve or store!


Sending this to Only - Side Dishes, SIC#3, Anu's page, Quick and Easy, MLLA - 54, Susan's pageGayathri WTML hosted by Nithu, Siri’s Anniversary Event, CWS - Urad Dal, Priya's page,
Giveaway Time horizontal final

17 comments :

  1. perfect with hot idli's :)
    adding jaggery sounds new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely perfect with Idli's My H's favourite podi, he always makes this it's his department :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious podai,wonderful combo with idlys...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My savior in kitchen Sowmya...Well made...I loved your addition of jaggery sounds so new to me...Will give a try next time I make podi.. :)
    Soya Chunks Curry / Meal Maker Curry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milagai podi is a must have in every South Indian's home. My mother cannot eat her idli or dosai withour milagai podi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. cannot resist ... So yummy!
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pantry will always have this flavourful podi, a must for is. Love it simply with some crispy dosas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Addition of jaggery in milagai podi is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flavorful.. My husband loves it a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect with hot idli and even plain rice too..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adding jaggery is new to me. I will give a try next time.
    Gr8 receipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your version of idly podi. Addition of jaggery is new to me though. It is interesting to see different versions.
    Thanks for linking it to my event, Sowmya. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,
Thank you for reading my blog post. Your comments and feedback is very valuable and I appreciate it very much. Please leave your valuable comments and feedback for this post. Thanks Sowmya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...